Arcalea Case Study

Arcalea: Visual Design for Objective Digital Marketing


The client approached me with a request for a new website for his digital marketing company. His current site was very old, copy heavy and would break when not viewed on a desktop, so we were starting at square one. I provided the visual design and photo research for his new site. I also brought in a writer to help with the copy.



The client needed a completely new website for his digital marketing company. None of the visual design from his previous site was usable as it had many issues. It was a top to bottom overhaul.


I worked closely with the client to determine his goals. I p rovided a moodboard, wireframes, photos and high resolution visual designs for desktop and mobile. I also provided a stylesheet for the developers.

  • Roles

  • Visual Design
  • Photo Research
  • Timeframe

  • 5 months
  • Tools

  • Adobe CC
  • Google Docs
  • Sketch
  • InVision
  • Deliverables

  • Moodboard
  • Wireframes
  • ADA Colors
  • High Fidelity Prototype
  • Responsive Design
  • Visual Design

Visual Design

Moodboard + Competitor Reviews

The client provided a thorough competitive analysis. I reviewed the competitors’ sites to help develop a moodboard which I reviewed with the client.

Rough Sketches

After reviewing the moodboard with the client, I began rough sketches. Rough sketches speeds up the ideation process which ultimately saves time by getting to better ideas faster.


When I felt that I had several strong rough ideas I put them into wireframes. We started with the homepage first. I presented my first set of wireframes to the client. We had a couple of rounds of edits before moving onto the visual designs.


Visual Designs

Since we spent some time determining the structure of the wireframes, the visual design went quickly. I presented two designs based on the wireframes. The client chose one of the directions. I made the final tweaks and then moved onto the rest of the pages.

Visual Design


As I began more detailed work on the pages, my client still didn’t have a writer for the new site, which he needed badly. I introduced him to a former co-worker and we were off and running.


This was a fantastic opportunity that came to me as I was considering new projects for my portfolio. My client was very hands on which can sometimes be a problem for designers. But, that was not a problem for me. He provided wonderful feedback and always listened to my thoughts and the reasoning for my decisions. I really enjoyed working on this project.